Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Insulation, electrical and paint

We've been busy, busy, busy!  David installed new electrical wires and, with the help of the kids, insulation on the two side walls.  The aluminum on the roof, front and back is at the sheet metal shop where new panels are being fabricated.

Christian sprayed the trailer frame with rubberized undercoating

Installing insulation and taping it in.

 Christian, Joshua and Bella working together
Even Hazel gets into the act.  Inspecting under the trailer - quality control!

We put down the subfloor in preparation for the finished floor which will be coming next week.

And I worked on painting the cupboards.  Yes, we decided to go with paint.  I love the look of the stained birch, but this little trailer will spend most of her life parked near the beach so I decided to go with a lighter beach cottage kinda look.  After all, we live on Cape Cod, where if you stand still too long, you'll be painted white.

I also polished the louvered window.  That took some time!  I have 2 more windows to go and the z stripes, the top of the baggage door, the screen door and something else which my mind has blocked out at the moment.  

Next week we'll be installing the aluminum skins on the roof, front and back, continue polishing aluminum, and continue painting.  Next weekend Dave will hopefully be putting in the birch panels.  

Taking it one day at a time - too overwhelming!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011


We have so far to go, but I can't help dreaming....

Interior framing, polishing Aluminum and removing vent

Last weekend we worked on the Pearl.  My husband removed the vent to prepare for removing the roof skins.  We got a price from Falmouth sheet metal - $2000!  Yikes!  That is $1000 more than we had budgeted to redo the roof, front and back panels.  The sides aren't that bad, so we are keeping those.  The labor was reasonable, but, we were told, the price of aluminum "fluctuates".  Apparently, right now it has fluctuated through the roof.

Removing the vent turned out to be quite a job.  Years of tar, gunk, and sealant had formed an impervious barrier.  Good if you are trying to stop water, not so good if you are trying to remove the vent.

We are replacing the original vent with a Fan-Tastic 6000 from Vintage Trailer supply.  Soooo, if anyone wants the old one....

Dave also installed nailer strips on the edges of the trailer so we will have something to nail the wooden plywood to.  Originally, this would not have been necessary because the inside ceiling panels were applied before the aluminum skins and went on top of the walls.  We are delaying taking off the aluminum roof skins until the new ones are ready to be installed.

           Wood nailer strips on edges of ceiling

On another note, don't underestimate the power of those thin sheets of aluminum skins!  When Dave took off the front panel so we could get a price for re-fabricating, the trailer started to do the hokey pokey.  He braced the front and back to keep thinks from getting ugly.

I worked on polishing aluminum....

Removing old putty tape so I can get down to business.

       The drip cap on the left is before polishing
       The one on the right - after polishing

Here are the wings after polishing.  Now, many of you will notice that these wings are not original.  Nope, I think they came from a later model.  The size is right - but they have a diamond shape pattern between the lines and the holes aren't lined up with the holes on the trailer.  However, they are wings and I'm going to fly with them.

More drip caps polished.  (Never noticed how many drip caps are on this trailer till now)

Here are the products I used.  The goo gone was used to remove the gunk from the putty tape.  I ran out of Mother's mag and aluminum and the hardware store only had small jars so I bought the Nevr-Dull.  This has a wool like substance in the can with a solution on it.  I liked working with it.  The Rust remover (naval jelly) I did not use.  I bought it to help remove some of the rust spots on the aluminum (where the old rusted screws had been) but read the back when I got home..... "Do not use on aluminum".  Not sure why, didn't want to find out.

We got an order from Vintage trailer supply (not the last I'm sure)

We ordered:

CodeItemQtyPriceGrand Total
VTS-838Round Cabinet Welt (25' Length)
[Round Welt Color:Almond]
VTS-396Propane Tank Rack1$23.45$23.45
VTS-372Two-Tank Regulator1$39.99$39.99
VTS-373Propane Regulator Cover1$2.99$2.99
VTS-4193/4" Butyl Putty Tape4$5.73$22.92
VTS-567Progressive Dynamics 4045: 45 Amp Converter + AC/DC Distribution Panel1$179.99$179.99

Also, on a more fun note (fun for me - not hubby):

I bought these (enameled tin) from Etsy: